Wednesday, February 27, 2008

There should be a law!


Today I got two more new students. Of course, instead of putting them into my smaller (only 25ish) class, they got put into my already HUGE class. So, I now have 34 8th graders in my 3rd hour. There should be a law against that! Seriously, none of them are able to get the attention they need or deserve. I feel like all I do is spend all hour trying to keep them under control. I will readily admit that I am not an experienced enough teacher to know what to do with that big of a class. I am completely overwhelmed and not a little frustrated! Not only do I not have a clue what to do, as it is, especially since I have NO training whatsoever (other than what I have figured out by trial and error this year) in middle school education, and I have NO training whatsoever in teaching English/Language Arts (other than what I have figured out by trial and error this year :)--and that I love to read). I just need the school year to be over. I am ready.

In other news, Maddy had her EEG today. The test results had to be sent to a neonatal/pediatric radiologist in Springfield, so we won't know what the tests showed for a day or two at least. Right now we are just praying that everything is all right.

Cameron has been a super cranky butt the past couple days. I haven't exactly figured out why. But, I have decided that it is just too stressful for me when I try to figure it out. I don't particularly want to coddle him, because frankly, that tends to encourage the moodiness and selfish behavior...but I do want him to know I love him and appreciate him for all the great things he does. I want him to know that it's ok if he has a bad day once in awhile, and even that it's ok for him to be cranky occasionally. I just wish he would accept that I REALLY do feel that way. I don't sit and hold it over him nearly as much as he thinks I do. I wish he would get that I love him and always will and that I want him to be happy more than anything. Anyway, any suggestions for getting the info. through thick skulls? I love Cameron so much. I wish he could feel a bit happier with himself. (I know--pot, meet kettle, but still!)

Well, I just made another semi-nasty test (this one isn't NEARLY as bad as the other one though!) for my students. It is about the Diary of Anne Frank--the play version. I think they will do pretty well on this one. It is going to be a nightmare to grade though! I don't know why I feel like my tests have to be long and difficult. I think it is because I feel like writing tests is one of the few things teaching-wise that I am REALLY good at. My tests are not always fantastic, but it's more because I get lazy than because I don't know how to do it. Secretly, I kind of like writing tests. I like applying all the little rules to my questions, so I can ask a higher-order question with a simple true/false question. I love coming up with the constructed response prompts. I love making the matching sections--even though I know the kids hate it because I always have more answers than I do questions and they think that's horribly unfair and evil. Tough! Anyway, I am a freak of nature and I like making tests. So, this has been a pretty good week as far as that goes.

The boys are all in bed. My test is completed. I think it is bedtime!

No comments: