Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Momma??

I should not embarrass my poor Nick further, but I am going to, because the story was just so darn funny. Today my students were taking a test...a rather difficult one, in fact. So, the room was pretty much as quiet as it ever is or will be. Then, I hear a voice--"Momma? I mean Mrs. Reed? I have a question." The poor kid was mortified, because of course, EVERYONE in the whole class heard him. And I couldn't help but laugh (although I made sure he was laughing first--he is a pretty good-natured kid, so I think it was ok). It took a few minutes to calm the students back down because of course, they had to share their embarrassing call the teacher mom stories, and they had to make fun of poor Nick. For the rest of the class period, anytime a kid had a question, they said, "Mom? I have a question." Poor Nick. In grade school this isn't nearly as big of a deal, but by the time a kid is in 8th grade, well...let's just say everything is a potential embarrassment...especially something like this. I think if it had happened in a different class with a different teacher, it would have been far worse. However, I have a really good rapport with most of the students, and although classroom discipline is NOT my strong point, relating to, and making the students feel like they are in a safe, comfortable environment, is. Anyway, suffice it to say, we all got a good laugh, even if it was at poor Nick's expense. At least he was laughing too.

I had a really bad day at work today--I got pretty frustrated with something that happened with my principal--in fact, I am still pretty upset about it. So, having some fun this afternoon was a good thing. I am just seriously tired of the way these obnoxious kids refuse to do anything. ANYTHING! Obviously I am generalizing, and I will admit, it is really only about 7 of them that really drive me crazy, and even out of those seven, I can pick about 3 that are REALLY awful. But still...it is getting seriously old. Especially after the response I got from the principal today. Grr. I won't get into it too much, because it will just make me really mad again, but he basically said these kids wouldn't be acting up if I were spending more time teaching and less time just sitting. I know he didn't mean to be offensive, but seriously...he has only been in my classroom a couple times, so really...he doesn't know whether or not I sit. Did it not even enter his mind that the reason these kids are failing and getting written up is because of THEM, not the teachers?? Hmm...something to consider, I think.

Moving on...I do NOT know what to do about Samuel and the bedtime thing. NOTHING IS WORKING!!! Shutting him in his room isn't working. Spanking him isn't working. Putting him in a different room isn't working. All it has done is make it so that BOTH Ben and Sam are up--because Ben goes in HIS room and wakes up Levi, so they have both been sleeping in Sam's bed. I just want to give up. Sam is currently sitting on the kitchen counter drinking orange juice straight from the pitcher, messing with my glasses. IT MAKES ME CRAZY!!!! I just want to throw the kid outside in the cold...then maybe when he comes in he will sleep. Obviously that won't really work, but I am at my wit's end. He will NOT go to bed. Grr!! Any suggestions?? Please grace me with your knowledge!


Last, but certainly not least, Madison is having an EEG tomorrow. We are kind of concerned about it because she has been having these episodes where she will just start shaking uncontrollably...kind of like she is shivering a LOT. The episodes usually last anywhere from 30 seconds to 4 or 5 minutes. It's kind of scary. Anyway, Maddy is getting checked out tomorrow, so we'll all be praying that everything is ok. I know Krista is pretty worried, but we are all just hoping things work out fine. (Is she not the CUTEST thing ever??)

1 comment:

Miss Jewels said...

Hey! Sorry you had a rough day at school. My kiddos went nuts after lunch, so maybe it was a weather change or something. I feel terrible for your poor student... I get called Mom or Mommy about every other day (even in fifth grade I did!) but I take it as a compliment. A high compliment, actually. But for an eighth grader...ouch.