Friday, February 8, 2008

A good day...

Today was really a good day. I had a lot of work to do at school, but it was AR day, so the first three hours of the day, the students were reading (I LOVE AR DAYS!!!). Then, this afternoon, I had the students finish Hercules (yes, the Disney version--it was hilarious to see these 8th graders who act like they're too cool for everything, completely absorbed in this movie--singing along and everything!). They were watching Hercules mostly to make it so I didn't have to stay super late at school today to finish my mid-quarter grade reports, but I can totally justify it by making them do a comparison/contrast essay about the "real" version of Hercules v. the movie. So I got my work completely done during 6th hour, and basically tried not to fall asleep the rest of the day. It was so nice. Right after school, I went home. Grandma sent the boys some money, so we went to Big Rs and ate dinner--it was great--the whole family ate for only $10 + $2 tip. Then we went to Walmart and let the boys pick out a couple movies to buy. And Ben got some more train tracks for his trains. We took back one of the things grandma sent, because the boys were fighting over it--but then Ben wanted the train instead, so everyone is happy.

Cameron officially got a job offer today. Isn't that exciting? Things are apparently for real this time. I think we are probably planning on turning the offer down though. Is that crazy of us? It's a good offer--good salary, pretty good benefits, etc. But, we feel so much better about the other job that Cam has in the works. I think we are going to go on gut instinct and faith that the other job will be better and that they really will come through for us. He has spoken to them several times, even since he got the offer this evening, and they have reassured him that there will be a position for him. We'll see...I guess we ought to start decluttering and getting rid of our excess junk!

Anyway, now it is 10:20, and I am ready to go to bed. Hopefully the weekend will be a good one. We have work to do tomorrow--I am hoping to straighten the garage since it is supposed to be about 60 degrees tomorrow. We'll see...On Sunday we have that benefit dinner to go to. Krista and I put together two really nice baskets (several hundred $$ worth of stuff) for the silent auction. I hope someone sees how valuable they are and bids accordingly. That's the point, right? To raise money to help the Maples. We created a Mary Kay basket and a scrapbooking basket. I am excited for the event and hope there is a good turnout. The family needs something really positive! Mom's future is still uncertain, even though they are hoping to have her surgery on her pelvis performed soon, so she can begin physical therapy. At that point, they are hoping the swelling in her brain will subside and they will be able to determine how much functionality she will have. I just keep praying for more miracles, and that those kids will be able to remain together and happy.

No comments: