Thursday, February 7, 2008

Happy Birthday, Samuel!!!

Today Samuel is 3 years old! It's crazy to see that. I can't believe how fast our boys are growing.

THEN: Sam was such a super sweet baby. He cried a TON at first, and for awhile, I thought we would have to send him back...but then, he turned into an angel baby--just like my mom always called him. He was so happy and just completely adorable. He slept well. He was good-natured. And he and Ben have always been inseparable.


SAM'S VERY FIRST SMILES: Krista just happened to have her phone handy when Sam graced us with his very first smiles. He has the most beautiful smile that is contagious to everyone around him. Isn't he the cutest??


NOW: Samuel has become a super energetic, crazy little boy. He is incredibly smart and totally fearless. He climbs EVERYTHING! (The cabinets, the beds, the FRIDGE, etc.) He managed to break our dryer door just 6 weeks after we bought it, by climbing on the door. Luckily it was covered by our warranty still, so we were able to get it fixed. He almost always has a bruise or a black eye or something. He has managed to blacken one of his front teeth--we haven't figured out exactly how he managed that. Sam is super independent. He turns on his own DVDs (which makes me CRAZY!!), he is constantly trying to brush his teeth, he gets his own drinks, he puts on his own shoes, etc. Sam LOVES fashion--he thinks shoes are the best things ever. He gets upset when I try to put the wrong clothes on him. He tells US when he needs a haircut. He has an opinion about everything, and tells me that he "can't want to" whenever I ask him to do something even remotely contrary to his plans.

Sam is so creative. He loves to color. Playdough is his new favorite thing. He makes all kinds of shapes out of the dough. Today it was balls. Last week it was carrots (for his snowmen) and snakes (and boxes for the snakes). He has made bunnies and doggies (we had to ask him to tell us about those!). Sam brings energy and light into everything he does. He loves to read and be read to. He hates going to bed. He is afraid he will miss something. He is a little (or a lot sometimes) defiant when he doesn't want to do something. He is VERY stubborn. He has THREE blankies! He is the sweetest, most sensitive little boy--whenever there is tension or Cameron and I are upset with one another, he gets very distressed. He gives sweet little hugs and kisses and loves to snuggle. He hates being thrown in the air--it is the one thing he is VERY afraid of. Sam is such a special little boy. He is incredibly challenging, but we are doing our best to raise him to be happy, to love his family and Heavenly Father, and to be a good, confident little person.

Samuel is totally the apple of his daddy's eye. Cameron absolutely adores Samuel! Frankly, if I didn't know firsthand how nuts Sam sometimes makes Cameron, I would say that Cam has blinders on regarding all of Sam's faults. He and Sam have a special bond. I love watching them together. Sam loves to jump on Daddy and wrestle and he LOVES to be tickled. It doesn't hurt that he looks exactly like his daddy!


I am so proud of Sam. There are a lot of things that I wish he would do that he won't--I wish he would obey better, and that he would go to bed. But, I absolutely adore Sam. I love how he runs up to me when I get home from work and gives me a big hug. I love how he is so adament about his opinions (I want THAT one, pointing at the Hot Tamales, which are, incidentally, his FAVORITE candy!). I love how sweet Sam is to his brothers. I love how well Sam talks. He can communicate his ideas and wants and needs so well. I love how independent Sam is (when I'm not hating that!). I LOVE how smart and clever he is. I love how absolutely charming he is. I love how cute Sam is. I love how he has such a special sensitivity--he loves to look at pictures of Jesus (especially when he is in trouble--he points them out to me then). He loves his primary class. He notices things we don't--tension AND happy moments. I love that Sam is such a happy boy--he has a smile that lights up my life. There are so many things I could say about Sam. He is such a blessing to our family. I can't imagine life without him. His arrival was such a surprise, but it has truly become one of the best things that has ever happened to me. He brings me such joy...and frustration...and happiness. It is impossible to stay upset at a little boy who is like Sam.

We tried to take Sam out all by himself--found a babysitter for the other two boys--but it didn't go like we planned. We were going to take him for a treat and let him pick out a gift that he wanted. But...he was being really weird. The whole time we were gone he just laid on Cameron or in the stroller. Then, he said he wanted to go home...he didn't feel good. We got ice cream, since that's what he said he wanted. He ate ONE bite! Then, on the way to the car, he threw up everywhere. My sister says he hasn't felt good all day. It makes me sad that he's sick on his birthday! Hopefully he'll feel better tomorrow.

Happy Birthday, Sam!!

No comments: