Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Happy Winds-day!

WINDS-day it is! It has been pretty cold all day, and we are supposed to get snow and ice starting sometime early tomorrow morning, and lasting most of the day and night. Ick. Up to 1/3 inch of ice. I am getting a little sick of ice storms.

Today was quite the day at work. When I got to work, late of course, I checked my email and was greeted with the news that Laura Maple had died. Although I don't know Laura, I do know her children and adore them. This is going to be (I am sure it already is, but I haven't seen them) devastating to them. I am really concerned about Chris. He was very close to his mom and I honestly think that deep down, he really didn't think that she was going to die. I think he really thought she would make it and be fine. And now, she is gone. And he doesn't know what the future will hold. Are he and Brittany going to be able to stay in Granby? Or are they going to have to move to Texas? What about their little sister? Where will she live? I think that, although this will bring some sort of ending to the situation that has been dragging on since before Thanksgiving, it is still a huge blow that is going to have long and far reaching effects. I worry so much about the kids. Tomorrow is the visitation, and I think I will be going after work...I am hoping Cameron will be able to come with me.

School was weird today--it was the strangest example of mass hysteria that I have ever seen. Even when Rowan Ford was murdered and the students heard about that (and yes, I realize it was not a student from our school, but she was from our district), they didn't freak out like they were today. There were random bunches of mostly 7th grade girls just standing around and bawling their eyes out. I understand that they were upset, and that really, in such a small community, they all probably knew Laura Maple, but still...it was crazy. Even kids who weren't close to Chris and Brittany were losing it--I had one 8th grader go home. And I don't know that I have ever really noticed her seriously hanging out with Chris. It was just odd. The kids that I thought might be most likely to be upset were actually being quite stoic and mature. Of course, the Maple kids were gone, and Katelyn was gone, since she is so close to Chris AND his mom (like best friend for years close).

On top of all that, my mentor observed me 3rd hour, and I had forgotten she was coming. Good thing I had plans today, right? And then, during 4th hour I had a mom show up wanting to know why her son is failing (she was very nice, but there isn't any way to say, "Your son is failing because he doesn't turn his work in and what he does turn in is incomplete or not good work..." without saying just that.). I had to rush through my lunch because she took some of my lunchtime, and then I had an IEP meeting during my plan time, so I cut lunch short (still hadn't even been able to pee yet today!) and rushed to that. That ended right before 6th hour. I went to 6th hour and started it, and Mr. Charlton came in and asked if I could attend another IEP meeting if someone watched my class. That "someone" turned out to be Mr. Charlton, so again, it was a good thing I had lesson plans. Then I went to the IEP meeting, which actually morphed into TWO IEP meetings, because after the one finished, they were having another one, and I am the regular classroom teacher for both kids so they just had me stay. By the time that was over, school was over, and I had to rush to the high school. Ick! A BORING CTA meeting--it was awful. I finally snuck out a few minutes before 5 because I still had a 50 minute drive home (the high school is farther away than my school is) and I had to get Levi. So, I finally got home at like 6. Now I have to drive Richard to almost Kansas City (like 2 hours or something) and we are supposed to get ice soon. So, I am hoping we can get ON THE ROAD!!!

I'll try to post pictures soon for anyone who actually reads this--I suspect any readers I might have had are waning. That reminds me...if anyone actually gets pictures of the eclipse...email them to me! I want to see!

No comments: