Monday, February 18, 2008

My make-up day...

Today we had to go to school. It was supposed to be a day off. Since we have had like a million snow days, however, we had to go to school. On the bright side, it's only February and we have made up half our snow days already. On the downside, I had to go to school today. The students were...well...there's only one word for it--MORONS! They were being complete idiots today. I even had pretty good lessons this afternoon--at least I thought so. I was teaching them about resumes, and we were going to create a resume for Odysseus, since we have been talking about mythology. Apparently that required a bit too much effort. Plus, I was supposed to be observed by my principal today, but for the THIRD time, he didn't come because something came up. It's really frustrating. We are going to try again tomorrow.

I finished a couple books last week. One was The Law of Similars by Chris Bohjalian. The other was The Pact, by Jodi Picoult. I actually really liked both of them, but in all honesty, the Bohjalian one is by far my least favorite by him. I really enjoyed Jodi Picoult though--it was the first book I had read by her, and I read all 500 pages of it in about a day and a half. Considering my job, kids, weekend away, etc...you'd think that would be impossible, but I was reading at lunch at school, while I rocked the baby, in the car back and forth (Cam was driving), etc. I just thought the book was intense. I started another one by her that I am struggling a little bit more with, but it is really good too. I think my problem with this one is just that the other was SO intense that I went into this new one expecting the same thing, and although it is full of excitement, it is not as fast paced as the other one, so I am just feeling a little drag.

We took the boys to Braums for ice cream tonight for FHE. They earned it. Ben got his for pooping in the potty 10 times...which seemed to be what it took to get him potty trained. And Sam got his for staying in bed 10 times (nights). Needless to say, I'm sure, it took Sam longer than it took Ben. However, we didn't purposely make Ben wait--this was just the first time it was really convenient to take him. It was much nicer to take all of them. Levi was a monster though--he thinks he is seventeen and can eat anything. It makes me crazy! Tonight he was FREAKING out because he wanted ice cream so badly. He got quite vocal and even a little hostile because we weren't sharing fast enough. Frankly, I didn't want to share at all. So we had a fun time destroying Braums--there was ice cream everywhere when the boys were done. And...when we left it was snowing. :)

I am really wanting to work on a couple things in my life. They are pretty basic things, but things I really struggle with. I want to get into a much better habit of reading my scriptures and consistently expressing my gratitude to my Heavenly Father. I pray constantly throughout the day, but it is mostly the "get me through this horrible class" or "what should I do" kind of prayer. I need to be better about expressing gratitude and trying to listen for answers to my prayers. Also, I really need to make it a priority to set aside time for my scriptures. My current plan is to make Cameron get up just a few minutes earlier in the morning and read with me. Then I can read at night.

Anyway, tonight I am grateful for my kids. They are such good little boys. Honestly, they make me completely nuts. I go crazy sometimes after only a few minutes with them. But, they are also so fun, and sweet, and hilarious! Yesterday after church I asked Benjamin how his primary class was. He looked at me and said, "I cried." I knew he cried, since he had been freaking out when I dropped him off. But, still, I asked him why he cried. His response? "Ben cried because I missed you so much in my class." Pretty much I fell for it--it was super cute and sweet. Of course, I also wanted to say, umm...yeah, sure...whatever Ben. :) And then there is Samuel. He is so funny. He stubbed his toe the other day. Awww...I know. But, instead of being worried about it, he just sat down on the ground, and kissed his own toe. Then he looked up and went back to life, since, "Owie all better." Levi is in a super-attached-to-mom mode. Sometimes it really bothers me, since I don't always want him attached to me. But, he has the most engaging, charming grin--he sticks his bottom jaw out, almost like he is showing off his two little bottom teeth, and then his whole face gets involved. His eyes light up. He cheeks get fatter as his lips burst into a huge smile. He is about the cutest, sweetest thing I have ever seen.

No comments: