Monday, January 14, 2008

Why oh why oh why

is Samuel the way he is? I love the little thing to pieces, but he is a serious trial sometimes. Yesterday, Krista and I were trying to decorate a cake--we bought some tips and decided to teach ourselves how to do it. We did pretty well, by the way--and Samuel wanted some. He likes to open the cabinets and use the shelves as a way to climb on the counter. He gets yelled at about a thousand times daily about this. Last night, after being pulled off the counter for the 54th time, he had apparently had it. So, you know what he did? HE STOOD THERE AND PEED IN MY KITCHEN CABINET! Yes, it is just as bad as it sounds. It required the washing of dishes, the cleaning of the cabinet AND the floor, AND him getting a bath, which is what he wanted all along. In fact, when we asked him why he did it, he said it was because "now I get a bath." He has serious middle-child syndrome! It's a good thing that we love him as much as we do, because between his current attitudes, and his complete lack of willingness to go to bed, he can really make a person crazy!

I was reading another blog earlier, and I realized that a lot of people are much freer with their emotions than I am. I am mostly ok with that. I am not an emotional person. I do things based on reason and logic, and although my gut feeling is ALWAYS what I go with, I don't usually talk about that with others. I do want to make sure that I get the important things across though. I want it to be clear that I firmly believe in the Savior and have a strong testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. I want everyone to know how much I love my family. I love Cameron so much! And my boys are the lights of my life--they are a trial, but I can't imagine being happy without them.

On that note, I was also thinking earlier about the idea of love at first sight. I really always said, and still generally say, that it is a load of bologna! But, then I remember meeting Cameron and realize that I am, in every way, fitting that stereotype (and dang it! I hate that!). The night Cameron and I met was anything but ideal. I had spent the weekend up in SLC at my aunt and uncle's house (including a blind date they had set up for me), and had just been home (at Gary and Vicki's) long enough to get totally nastified--ponytail, jammies, sociology homework. I was in the process of writing a sociology paper when Amie came hurrying in, informed me that I needed to get up, get dressed, and get to the car, because we were going out (Tunnel singing at BYU to be exact--it's where a bunch of local youth get together on Sunday nights and sing hymns in a big tunnel at BYU, and those who have gotten mission calls announce, etc.). Of course, I knew that Amie knew what I looked like, and so did all her friends (so I thought), so I left the ponytail, just changed the pj pants for jeans, and put on a bit of mascara. Yeah--pretty scary.

Little did I know that I would be meeting my husband that night. When I got to Amie's car and climbed in the front seat, I immediately noticed that it wasn't just the two of us--there were two other people in the back. Amie's best friend, and this guy that I assumed was dating Amie's friend. After brief introductions we were on our way, and Cam proceeded to bug me, poke me, generally strive to get my attention, the whole trip. I steadfastly ignored him. Completely. I was convinced that he was dating this girl--besides, I had a couple sorta boyfriends. The whole evening he did lots of dumb stuff to try to get me to notice him--he sang in Portuguese (he knew my dad had gone to Brazil on his mission), he talked up Brazil and the return missionary thing, he even climbed a tree barefoot (to show how agile and athletic he was???). The poor guy tried desperately, and sadly, I was completely unaware.

After being dropped off so I could finish my homework, Amie took her friends home. Then, she came to my room and the first thing she asked was "what do you think of Cam?" I remember her hysterical laughter when I told her he seemed nice, but why was she asking since he was dating her friend. Yeah, apparently he wasn't. She said he had grilled her the whole way home about me. It was the weirdest thing though, because I KNEW that he would be the guy I was going to marry, even though I didn't know him at ALL, and even though I had thought he was dating someone else. I really knew. After we actually went out once, I remember saying my prayers and knowing without a doubt that he was the right guy for me...and worrying about my family's reaction. There were so many reasons not to get married--I lived in NC and had a great scholarship; I was 19; my parents were going to FLIP!

But, I knew, and just 2 weeks after we met, while at my grandma's watching "Dances with Wolves", Cameron told me he loved me, and then asked me to marry him. Although he hadn't yet met my family, I knew things would work out. We picked out a ring, he talked to my dad, we talked to his family, I went back to NC (yeah that...), and eventually, he met my family, moved to Missouri, and we made our plans. Of course, we got married, in the Logan, UT, Temple, and three kids later, are still doing well.

Ok, well that went off on a total tangent, but that's ok. I guess I need to say that stuff too. Now I have to get back to my real life--the one where Ben is running around wearing flip-flops, underwear and nothing else, sitting on the upside-down toy bucket while Sam, who is underneath it, crawls across the floor (trapped). And the life where everything I say to my children is totally ignored. And the life where it is bedtime.

No comments: