Sunday, January 13, 2008

Decisions, decisions...

So Cam and I are really struggling with where we want to be in our lives. We just aren't sure exactly what the next step should be. I guess we really have three options--unless something else just comes out of nowhere. We can stay here in Webb City (actually the option that we are least serious about), we can move to Monett (sounds most logical to me, since that is where Cam works), or we can move out west (be poor, not have great jobs, me have to teach, but be close to our family). Really none of the options is jumping out at us. Honestly, in my mind, I feel like Monett is the best option. I would quit teaching and stay home. We could buy a house there (SO much cheaper!). Cam would be only about 2 miles from work (hey--he could ride a bike!). We would be in the same stake. It would be a needed change. Until Cam went to Utah last weekend, I was pretty sure this was what we would do. But, he really wants to be closer to his family. So, what do we do? There are pros and cons to all sides. Living in Utah would be a BIG step backward lifestyle-wise, because our best option right now would be to have Cam try to transfer with his current job, but they have already told him that if he were to ever do that, they wouldn't give him a raise just because HE wanted to move. But, they have fantastic insurance (which we need) and they are a GREAT company. If we live in Utah, I would have to teach, probably just to make ends meet, and let's face it--pay for teachers starting out in Utah sucks! It's worse than here--even if the numbers are close, well...$30k goes a lot farther on housing here than it does there. We would have to depend on someone to watch our kids. That would be an additional cost. And we will never have enough to buy a house out there--at least not any time soon. But...we would be close to family. Cam could be near his parents and brothers and sisters. Our kids could know their grandparents and their cousins better. My mom lives in Nevada--a LOT closer to Utah than Missouri. Staying in Webb City is also an option--it is the one we probably won't do though. Although Cam has been commuting for 4 years now, it stinks. It costs us several hundred a month in gas, too. But, we have a great house here. And we love our ward. We are familiar with it--especially me. But, I feel like I am starting to get a network that doesn't depend on me being HERE. Honestly, we don't have any friends that we just hang out with, other than at church. It makes not a lot of sense either, but it is hard for me to think of my mom selling this house. We built it. My dad built this house. We grew up here (kinda--I was 12 when we moved in). But, really...it's my home, literally. And it's a great house. It has a HUGE lot. The shop is fantastic--we have so much space! Our yard is wonderful. It's just nice.

So...what to do, what to do? I suggested to Cam that he ask someone for a blessing, and I guess we will just continue trying to figure it out.

Anyway, yesterday was WONDERFUL! Cam was super husband/dad. I went to my book club meeting (we planned out the next 6 months!), and had lunch with my friends there. Then I stopped back by home, and everyone was asleep, so I went ahead and went scrapbooking for a couple hours. I got home about 5:20, and we started dinner. Then while Cam made dinner (salmon and rice), Krista and I ran to Hobby Lobby with the babies. I worried that Cam would be cranky when I got home, especially since Ben threw up literally about 15 times last night, but he wasn't. He gave Levi a bath, put the big boys in their jammies, put them to bed, etc. It was so nice to have a semi-relaxing day where I was able to do a few things that I really have been wanting to do. So bravo Cam! Thanks!

Today I am grateful for weekends. I know my whole post centered around that yesterday, but I am so grateful for the time to relax with my friends and family. The boys are a little wild and crazy, but that's ok--they are like that all the time. Ok...Levi just fell--gotta go!

No comments: