Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Days off school.

It is funny how something that brought such joy and immense pleasure as a kid can now make me go "BLECH!" As much as I love the days off--and I do. I wish I could stay home every day. Or every other day at least--they come with a high price, that I am not sure I really want to pay. However, I don't really get a choice. When the phone rings at 5:22 a.m. and there is a message from my principal saying, "School is cancelled on January 22, due to treacherous roads and icy conditions," I don't get much say in the matter. I just hate making days up. Yesterday we made up one of our days, which was NOT cool. We were sitting in school just knowing we should have been off school. I guess having today off made up for it, except now we have to make today up too. That is the downside to teaching in a small, rural district. The school district covers over 200 square miles (which doesn't sound weird for people not in Missouri--but here, pretty much each city is its own school district. It isn't like Utah where the Alpine school district is like half the state.), most of which is rural. So, whenever there is a lot of ice (which apparently we are getting in abundance lately) or snow or whatever (more ice than snow), we have school cancelled. If the buses can't get through, there is not school that day. I just never thought I would see the day when a "snow day" made me sad.

Next up--I am going to post some pictures of the kids later. The batteries in my camera died and have been charging since yesterday. So, they should be good by now.

We had a fantastic dinner last night--which we really needed to offset the frustration of having to drop $400 on tires and fixing our BRAND NEW dryer! We had California chicken club sandwiches on sourdough bread. They were so good! It was a grilled piece of chicken, with some bacon on top of that, some tomato and some avocado. The dressing was ranch mixed with Dijon mustard. It sounds weird, but it was fabulous! We made triple decker sandwiches and everyone loved it. Even Ben and Sam ate it--Sam was a bit pickier, but Ben even ate the avocado! We are trying another new recipe tonight--bacon chicken rolls. On Sunday we had citrus garlic shrimp pasta. I didn't love it, although I ate the leftovers for lunch today and it was way better after a couple days. Some pasta is just like that, you know?

No comments: