Thursday, January 17, 2008

Little boys, Little boys...

This is the story of my life. We yell at the boys to get down, they climb right back up. I am not entirely sure what evil I have done in my life to earn such willful, disobedient children, but I must have tortured a kitten in a past life or something. Either way, I usually just blame it on their father because I know that I was an angel as a child, whereas he and Eric were total heathens. (I do have some parental assention to support this theory.) The two big boys use my kitchen cabinets as ladders to reach the great beyond--anything out of reach must be cooler than anything they can possibly grab at their level--but seriously, all the toys are within reach, I promise!


That said, aren't they super cute when they smile? It only took 37 pictures each to get one with them smiling where they don't look drugged out, mad, red-eyed, distracted, etc. So, I consider it a day where I fully accomplished a greater purpose in my life.

In other news, I was having a really difficult day at work today. I have been really discouraged for the past couple weeks with my job. I am so tired of the students not caring AT ALL about anything, especially because I really do care about and like most of them. I won't lie and say that I adore all of them because frankly, well, a lot of them drive me nuts! But, I do like most of them. It kills me that they don't care. I feel a lot better about it today though--I went and talked to my principal about some of these issues. He is a GREAT principal, by the way. He told me that I am not the only teacher having these issues (thus helping me not feel like the super crappy, first year, loser teacher.) He also said that these particular students, in general, have this attitude. I just hate that I don't want to teach them. But it is so frustrating to go each day, and try so hard to prepare, and KNOW that I completely wasted my time in doing so. It makes me not want to put forth any effort, since the results seem to be the exact same. Either way, they don't want to learn. They don't want to do the work. But, I feel much more encouraged today. It probably won't change the students' attitudes, but maybe mine can be different, at least for a day. Also, I had a fun time after school with some of the students. I helped one of them with his math homework, gave my opinions on the spring dance, and just generally got to see the good side of a few of them, instead of the attitude that I have been getting lately.

I think that Cam and I have pretty much made a decision about the next year of our life. We aren't positive that it's the right thing, but after talking with some of our leaders, we decided that the best way to get an answer was going to be to make plans, start working on them, and see how it goes. Besides, apparently we can't ever just be happy being comfortable and safe. We have to do our best to destroy any measure of security that we have built up. I haven't actually figured this attitude out yet, and am not entirely sure that I am thrilled with it, but it is what it is, so I guess I'll go with it. Despite what SOME people think, it isn't nearly so easy a decision as THEY think it is (the grr is implied here because I am so irritated with unasked for opinions being thrust upon me! But, I don't know why I am surprised by this--THEY force their opinions and superior, wonderful knowledg about EVERYTHING upon us all the time.). Anyway, I don't know. There are several things we could do.

In other news, WE WILL GET THE CHRISTMAS TREE DOWN SOON! It is in the living room, and we rarely use that room, and well, we haven't had time, so yeah, it hasn't been a priority. But, we are going to get it down before Valentine's Day--I have decided.

Today I am grateful for technology--I am glad I can use the computer to journal. It's a lot faster than writing it out. Plus, I can send pictures via email instead of the slow (translated: never going to happen) way of snail-mail. Also, I can communicate with Cameron and my sister throughout the day. My students make fun of me because I check my email obsessively, but it is my link with my real life.

No comments: