Tuesday, April 8, 2008

MAP...

So I have officially concluded that administering a state achievement exam is THE MOST BORING POSSIBLE THING to do! It is horrible. It's not like they are able to ask for help. I just have to stand there. The thing that's so annoying about it is that I am not even supposed to sit down. So I can't get any work done. I am supposed to walk around and "monitor". Ok, really? They don't need to be "monitored" by me walking around more than they need it with me sitting 10 feet away at my desk. Plus, there is ANOTHER teacher in there...seriously...let me get some work done. It's not like I have time to do it at home. :) Did I mention that the MAP is lasting for THREE weeks?? ARGH! This week is comm. arts, next week is math, and the week after is science. It is excruciating, because I just feel like I am a glorified babysitter right now. We aren't really supposed to be covering new material, just reviewing and focusing on keeping the kids motivated (I have other opinions about THAT, but I guess I will keep them to myself for now.) for the tests...it makes the other 5 hours of the day AWFUL, but whatever.

On the home front, we are alive and well. I am going a little nuts without Cameron--I actually rented a carpet cleaner and cleaned the carpets and the couch on Saturday. I also mopped the floor, cleaned all the bedrooms, cleaned the kitchen, and folded/washed a bunch of laundry (yeah, there is a still a TON of laundry to do)...all in between conference sessions. Yesterday I scrubbed and sanitized my kitchen garbage can. Um...yeah...that doesn't happen very often. But, like I said, a little nuts here without Cameron. I am probably more productive with him gone, but I am most definitely happier with him here. There are reasons that I married the guy! It's because I LIKE HAVING HIM AROUND! :) He is fabulous and I really miss him. A lot. I get out of school on May 21, I think, and hopefully I will be able to fly out once before then to look at/figure out the housing situation.

Anyway, it is only 9:30 and everyone is in bed. I am still up because I keep hoping that fabulous guy Cameron will remember to call me back, but I am not counting on it, since his phone keeps going to voicemail, which means A) it died because he forgot to charge it, B) he doesn't feel like answering it at all, or C) other (You always have to have an other!). He was with his mom when I called, so I told him (and he wanted to) go ahead and hang out with her. She is having a hard time. I am so excited to live closer so we can get to know her better, and she can get to know us and the boys. We had such a good time when she came out after Christmas. It made me want to fly her out here every other week. Anyway, I think I am going to give up on Cameron, because between the dead phone and the time difference, I am not counting on a call.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Hey! I cleaned and sanitized my kitchen garbage too! LOL :) Sorry school is a drag right now. Standardized testing really does stink!

Sorry I haven't checked in more. Eve has mono, and it is killing me. She is grumpy and screams and seems to sleep all they time except at night. Really, it is killing me! LOL

Miss Jewels said...

Hey, I feel your pain. We don't start testing until next week, but I've been there before! Here's a good forward I got today. VERY appropriate for tomorrow's forecast... (sorry it's in such bad shape, I copied and pasted!) Hang in there! :)

> Severe Weather Testing Protocols
>
>
> 1. Should a severe weather situation occur during testing,
> please
> remain calm. To display any kind of anxiety would be a testing
> irregularity and must be reported.
> 2. Please do not look out the window to watch for approaching
> tornadoes. You must monitor the students at all times. To do
> Otherwise would be a testing irregularity and must be reported.
> 3. Should students notice an approaching tornado and begin to
> cry,
> please make every effort to protect their testing materials from the
> flow of tears and sinus drainage.
> 4. Should a flying object come through your window during
> testing,
> please make every effort to ensure that it does not land on a
> Testing booklet or an answer sheet. Please make sure to soften the
> landing
> of the flying object so that it will not disturb the students while
> testing.
> 5. Should shards of glass from a broken window come flying into
> The room, have the students use their bodies to shield their testing
> materials so that they will not be damaged. Have plenty of gauze on
> Hand to ensure that no one accidentally bleeds on the answer
> documents.
> Damaged answer sheets will not scan properly.
> 6. Should gale force winds ensue, please have everyone stuff
> their
> test booklets and answer sheets into their shirts...being very
> Careful not to bend them because bent answer documents will not scan
> properly.
> 7. If any student gets sucked into the vortex of the funnel
> cloud,
> please make sure they mark at least one answer before departing...and
> of
> course make sure they leave their answer sheets and test booklets
> behind. You will have to account for those.
> 8. Should a funnel cloud pick you, the test administrator, up
> and
> take you flying over the rainbow, you will still be required to
> account for all of your testing materials when you land so please take
> extra
> precautions. Remember, once you have checked them out, they should
> Never leave your hands.
> 9. When rescue workers arrive to dig you out of the rubble,
> please
> make sure that they do not, at any time, look at or handle the
> Testing materials. Once you have been treated for your injuries, you
> will
> still be responsible for checking your materials back in. Search dogs
> will
> not be allowed to sift through the rubble for lost tests...unless of
> course they have been through standardized test training.
> 10. Please do not pray should a severe weather situation arise.
> Your priority is to actively monitor the test and a student might
> Mark in the wrong section if you are praying instead of monitoring.
> I'm
> sure God will put war, world hunger, crime, and the presidential
> primaries
> on hold until after testing is over. He knows how important this test
> is.
>
>