Friday, April 4, 2008

Horton Hears a Who...or...Adventures with Whooligans



I got brave tonight...or had a momentary lapse in sanity. I am not sure which. Either way, I did something a little nuts. I decided to take all three boys to the movies. By myself. Did I mention that I also took them all to McDonalds? Yeah. It was an adventure, to say the least.
We started out our lovely little outing with me trying to get all the boys into the car. The big boys ran into the backyard to "pay". It has been raining a lot lately (understatement of the year!) so our yard is a little boggy. Of course, the boys had on clean clothes when I sent them out the door, but by the time I got them in the car, they had all gotten dirty. Even Levi. The phone rang right as I was walking out the door to put them in the van, and Ben left the door open. Levi saw his opportunity and crawled right out the front door, down the steps, traveled the sidewalk, crossed the driveway, and plopped his little rear (and sock feet) right in a muddy puddle and started eating some rocks. Yeah, so twenty minutes later, I finally got them in the van. Then it was off to eat.

We got to McDonalds, and other than Levi being not satisfied with the food I gave him, I thought we would make it through the excursion without a hitch. However, Levi had other plans. (I am starting to realize that LEVI was the entire difficulty tonight--the other boys were pretty good, but man, Levi was a STINKER!) First, Levi felt the need to grab everything, so I had to constantly monitor him. Then...I tried giving him a drink of my water. The straws at McDonalds are really big though, so he kept getting mad at it. When I wasn't looking, he grabbed the whole cup and tried to get a drink, dumping quite a bit of ice water in his lap...but I caught it fast. I refilled my drink and finished my food, while holding a slightly damp Levi. Unfortunately for me, well...he hadn't quite had enough to drink. So, he grabbed the cup again...dumping the ENTIRE contents of my newly refilled cup of ice water INTO MY LAP. Seriously, all I could do was laugh. I was so irritated and struck by how this is totally my life that I just started cracking up. The people at the booth behind us probably thought I was nuts...what with Ben and Sam wandering around, and me covered in FREEZING cold ice water. Needless to say, we had to make a pit stop at home so I could change my pants.

After changing (and having to run back in, because I left my money in my FIRST pair of pants), we headed to the movie theater. Sam had insisted on carrying his stupid Happy Meal toy into the theater with me, and stupid me, I had let him. Little did I know, there were parts on the toy that came off...in the MIDDLE OF MAIN STREET! So, after dragging them across the street (with Ben holding Levi's foot, and me dragging Sam), Sam has a MELTDOWN! I had to go back into the middle of the road to fetch this dumb little flag for his boat toy. We FINALLY made it into the theater though. This theater is really pretty old, and only has like two or three showings per week of one movie. But, it is fairly cheap, it is kid friendly, they don't charge for Sam, and it is close to home. We waited in line and I got the kids a kid combo snack pack (yeah, I never do that kind of stuff...I must have REALLY been in a good mood tonight--that and the kid combo is $2 and has popcorn, a small pop, and a piece of candy). Then, the horror started...

The boys apparently have major issues with sitting. All three of them. I spent the entire movie either trying to sit them down, or trying to keep Levi quiet. It was crazy! I think the boys liked the experience overall, though. I am glad we went. The movie was pretty cute, and I know the boys had fun. Ben got in the car and said he needed to call Krista and Daddy and Grandma to tell them he saw the elephant movie. It was our first trip to the movies, so it was exciting. Now we just have to get to bed...Levi is down, and the big boys are headed that way (even if they don't know it yet!).

2 comments:

Lynnette said...

This is Lynnette from BBC, you have such a cute page ;)

free_by_grace said...

You must be crazy~~that's all I can say about that. But you are a sweet mama for taking your kids out. I hope I have the patience for that one of these days.