Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sick...and other things that have been annoying me.

I have now officially been sick for 8 days. Now, that may not sound like a huge deal to some people, but it is to me. It means that I have had to go to work sick--really sick--because I am pretty much (ok, totally) out of sick days, due to the use of them for kids and diabetes. It means that I have felt like total poo for over a week now. I keep thinking that one of these days I will wake up and BAM!, things will be better. I will suddenly feel, if not 100%, at least 80%. It hasn't happened yet. Oh, and the last reason this is a huge deal, is that my diabetes pretty much goes nuts when I am sick. My blood sugars get extremely awful, thus adding to the wonderful feelings I have. So, grr.

Last night, I finally gave up and went to Urgent Care. After looking at me for seriously like 23 seconds, the dr. informs me that I have a serious sinus infection and need to be on antibiotics. Now, in this case, I suspect he is right. I have thought all along that I have had a sinus infection. One that WILL NOT GO AWAY. The thing that bugs me so much is that he was so "confident" about his diagnosis, he was not even willing to entertain even the slightest possibility that it could be something else. Can you really diagnose someone accurately when you spend less than a minute with them? This seems to be a common theme when I go to urgent care. I am considering not doing it anymore. I admit, I go mostly for convenience sake. Urgent care if like 30 seconds away from my house...the hospital, well, it is closer to 30 minutes than 30 seconds (like 23 minutes or something). Plus, who wants to go to the ER for a sinus infection? But really...more than 30 seconds of attention would be nice...especially since I know what they are going to charge for the stupid visit.

I was in bed a few minutes ago, listening to Levi scream in his bed, wanting me to come free him, and I was lamenting the fact that the kid CANNOT EVER sleep past 7 a.m. "Just once?" I thought. But....not so much. But, then I realized that he had in fact slept until 8 a.m. today...due to the fabulous nature of daylight savings time. I know some people hate daylight savings time. I am, however, completely in favor of it. It's not like my kids go to bed anyway. This will give them more time that they can play outside. I realize that my day still only have 24 hours, but now more of them will be distributed during the times that I am awake, and not while I am sleeping...Besides, Cameron loves to grill stuff. And, it happen much more when (crossing fingers) it is not 4 degrees outside, and the sun is shining. I try not to be ungrateful for the nasty winter weather, because I know that during the summer, we will be wanting some coolness. It will be hot, and unbearably humid, and it won't rain for weeks...and we will want it to cool off. So, I try to just grin and bear it.

Another thing that drives me nuts--in case anyone cares--is Cameron's annoying tendency to stay up SUPER late on Friday and Saturday nights, and then be, essentially, useless the whole next day. Although he KNOWS that I am not going to let him sleep all day just because he chose to stay up all night playing xbox live. Now, normally the all night thing is an exxageration. Normally, it is really just like 1 or 2. However, last night...it was 5 A.M.!!! Add daylight savings to that, and he was pretty much up all night. Playing games. To me, that is just a dumb thing to do. I told him, when he came in, that I hoped he didn't plan on sleeping all day, especially since I am still really sick. So, hopefully he got the memo. I don't mind him playing. But wow--he needs to get the moderation thing down. :)

Ok, last gripe--why can't my children stay out of the kitchen? Sam has gotten a yogurt out of the fridge and is helping himself. Benjamin is eating a huge pickle...even after yesterday's fiasco, where he pulled the whole gallon jar of pickles out of the fridge (unopened ever) and since it was heavy, managed to drop it, sending a GALLON of pickles, pickle juice, and shattered glass all over my kitchen. Grr. At least Levi is being good. At least for now.

I am probably not going to church because I feel so awful, and apparently I am contagious, which makes it really nice that I went to school all week. Cameron is supposedly going to have to work. He had to work all evening last night, starting right at dinnertime, until about 10:30. So, we'll see if the Reeds even make an appearance at all. Part of me wants to go because I hate not going. But part of me really just wants to go lie down.

No comments: