Sunday, May 11, 2008

What a weekend!

I will post pictures tomorrow...mostly because I am too lazy to find the cord for my camera so I can upload the pictures. Anyway, I will have pictures of Cameron, Levi eating birthday cake (yes, he is ONE!!), and maybe some tornado pictures.

As far as I know, there is still going to be school tomorrow. I haven't heard anything differently, but I HAVE heard that there is a LOT of damage. This is a link to a video of THE big tornado while it was still near the border of Oklahoma and Missouri. http://www.fox14tv.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?clipId1=2474599&at1=Station+1&vt1=v&h1=Home+video+taken+of+tornado+near+Chetopa&d1=54833&redirUrl=www.fox14tv.com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=&playerVersion=9&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.fox14tv.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp%3FclipId1%3D2474599%26at1%3DStation+1%26vt1%3Dv%26h1%3DHome+video+taken+of+tornado+near+Chetopa%26d1%3D54833%26redirUrl%3Dwww.fox14tv.com%26activePane%3Dinfo%26LaunchPageAdTag%3Dhomepage%26clipFormat%3D&rnd=83264762
I have heard several reports that there is a LOT of damage in Granby. The good news is that the storm seems to have gone right between the high school and junior high--although that means nothing to anyone else, basically, that means that the storm cut through a VERY rural area, which means there is a lot LESS damage than there would have otherwise been. I am so grateful for that. So far, I haven't heard of any of my students who are hurt or homeless, but tomorrow may be another story. I did hear that one of my student's grandmothers lost her home completely. There are also some people in the ward in Granby who had their homes almost totally devastated. In times like this, it is important, I think, to remember how truly blessed we are.

Although the tornado has been on my mind a lot these past couple days, I do feel like it is really important to post some other things as well. Like...CAMERON CAME HOME THIS WEEKEND! We hadn't seen him for almost 6 weeks, so that was really really nice. Samuel, especially, was SO happy. Both boys were so excited to see Daddy. I, of course, was thrilled. I hated that I had to take him back to the airport today...but knowing that we will hopefully be pulling into Utah two weeks from today made it easier. It isn't going to be another HUGE long time before we see him. Our family will be back together soon. It was wonderful to see Cameron. It made me realize just how much our family needs each of its members to feel complete and whole. I love him so much! I am so grateful that I have him in my life.

I went to Silver Dollar City with my students on Friday, and I will try to post about that later.

Last, but not least, I want to wish everyone a happy mother's day. I didn't have a terribly fabulous day, what with Cameron leaving, and the tornado destruction (I fully admit that I am NOT affected by this in anywhere NEAR the same way as people closer to it, but it's still on my mind, and I am really concerned.), and Samuel being a rotten little thing...but I am still, despite all of that, grateful to be a mother. I love my boys. I love them even when they are horribly disobedient and cranky. They remind me of my strengths and, for sure, my weaknesses! It is humbling to be faced with teaching moments each day. I am trying so hard to be more patient with them (especially Sam) and not yell as much. I am trying hard to have our home be a place of peace and comfort and a place where all the members of our family feel safe and loved. Because they are loved. I hope they know that.

I am grateful for MY mother. She is the most fantastic woman I know. I didn't realize that growing up, although I never felt ungrateful for her--I always knew I had a great mom, I just didn't know HOW great. My mom is a wonderful example. She never gets offended...no matter what completely stupid thing someone does. And she is nice to everyone...even when they definitely don't deserve it. She never makes me feel like I am less. She tells me I am doing a good job...even if I know I'm not totally doing my best. But...my mom also tells it like it is. If I am being stupid, usually she tells me. If I need to do better, I hear that too--but always in a way that makes me want to do better, not resent her. After my dad died, my mom was such a good example to all of us...she has been an example of patience, and grace, and ultimately is someone that I would be proud to be compared to. I used to hate when people would tell me I look like my mom...or that I sound like her on the phone, or whatever. But now...I am honored by that. My mom is amazing, and I hope I can be even half as great a mother to my boys as she has been to us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Reed, you need to post about Steal-your-dollar City.....I guess You talk about me a little if you want....gosh, i spoil you jk jk!! Anyway my e-mail addy is jtchaseman@hotmail.com, you should add me on somethingor whatever. Ill miss you Mrs. Reed, Good Bye