Friday, May 16, 2008

The damage...

These are pictures of what is left of the home of one of my students. Her family was able to salvage many things, but the house itself is obviously a TOTAL loss. I believe she told me that this was her sister's bedroom. The ironic thing about tornadoes is how seemingly random the damage can be--I ran into one of my student's dads today and he was telling me that he had three gas tanks out at their farm, an empty one, one with about 300/500 gallons in it, and one with 1000 gallons of diesel. The empty one didn't move. The 300 gallons flew about 40 feet and turned upside down, draining fuel everywhere. The diesel?? 1/2 mile down the road. It was the same in these pictures--Heyley's bed remained MADE, but they found her math book in the pond. Her computer was destroyed totally, but her camera was safe under her bed. She is not my only student to lose her home last weekend (May 10), but she was kind enough to give me some of her pictures. I have several who are just trying to get through the rest of the week. I never realized, until today, that much as they "total" a car, they also do that with homes. I had never thought about it like that before. This is the air conditioner and her mom's room.
View loking as if toward the front porch (I think...)
Debris EVERYWHERE
Another exterior view of the house--you can't even tell that there used to be a roof at all!
I wanted to post this so those who have been asking how things have been can see exactly what things have been like. We just barely got phones back at our school today. The internet has been down all week, and we probably won't get it back before the end of the year. There was some damage at the high school. We have lots of kids gone. It has just been a mess. Pray for these families. Please. This poor little town didn't need anymore devastation!

1 comment:

Janessa @ Treasure Hunting Mommy said...

Oh my gosh Aaron, that is so crazy!